Tuesday, February 7, 2012

On the way to Edinburgh



Although I have lived in Scotland for 26 years, I will always be a tourist at heart, so I jump at the chance to go anywhere, whenever I have the chance! 

This weekend was incredibly busy due to it being my birthday and my son, Martin, coming up from London.  Oh no, not for my birthday though!  But for a big Ayr United vs Kilmarnock football game.  It was just lucky that I got to see him and spend some time with him on my birthday!   (Ayr United lost, but apparently, they held their own pretty well.)

Poor Martin arrived on Friday night, actually Saturday morning, went to Glasgow for the game on Saturday, then had to squeeze in one hour playing with Corbyn.  No visit home is complete without quality uncle/nephew time!  I was lucky enough to also be at Whitney's because of her burned fingers.  Strange connection?  Well, I had to do the dishes for her and get Corbyn ready for bed.  I felt very privileged to see those two guys enjoying each other's company so much. I might miss Martin terribly, but I feel most sorry for Corbyn because he really, really loves his Uncle Martin and Martin really, really loves him.




Then Martin was whisked away to have dinner with Alan and me, then he met his friends.  He looked exhausted when I left him at the train station in Glasgow on Sunday.

Yes, I travelled with him to Glasgow.  Not as silly as it sounds though, I was on my way to Edinburgh to spend the night with my friend, Cathy.  I was to be at a training course in Edinburgh for 10am and this was a real bonus! 

I have to admit that I always cry when I say goodbye to Martin, sorry but I just can't help it.  However, on my way to Queen Street Station, I could hear bagpipes and drums. They sounded amazing and really cheered me up.  It looked like they were only selling a CD, I couldn't see anyplace to give a donation, but I did take a picture or two.  I am very grateful to them for being exactly where I needed them to be to put a smile on my face!



I had a fantastic dinner with Cathy, celebrating my birthday, again!  What fun to have a weekend birthday and great friends and family to share it with!

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.  Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment