Thursday, May 24, 2012

Stone Mountain Sunday

In all the trauma and excitement of wondering if and when we would get our cases and begin our road trip, I never mentioned what a wonderful first day in Atlanta we had!

I must admit this day began with an emergency trip to Walmart. This was not in the plans, but all of us had no clothes suitable to climb Stone Mountain and this was one of the things I was looking most forward to! I even "had" to buy two pairs of shoes,which I sincerely needed. The only shoes I had were slip ons and they were too hot for  day wear and not safe for The climb.



On top of Stone Mountain with Atlanta in the background

Roxanne and Ardash regularly climb Stone Mountain on Sundays and I was really looking forward to being there on a Sunday and joining them. Lucky for us, this was going to be Russell's first climb on his own, without being in a backpack on his daddy's back. I kept waiting for him to get tired before I took a rest, but he was a real trooper and virtually kept up with us. But then, he slept in his Mother's arms all the way down!
 (Alan reminded me that Adarsh also shared this honor!)

The rest of Sunday was very relaxed , with a few visitors dropping by.  The first was my niece(and Roxanne's sister), Candi, with her son, Payton.  It is always special to spend time with these girls. I feel so lucky to be an Aunt since I was really an only child, and nieces sweeter than these two would be hard to find.  
Alan, Candi, Payton, Russell and Adarsh just relaxing on a Sunday




I am also pleasantly surprised to have still very dear friends in Atlanta after all this time.  Have had to switch to Alan's computer after publishing this to get the pictures of Dayle and Dana!


Dayle and I used to be Docents at Zoo Atlanta many years ago.  I was so happy to see her and spend an afternoon catching up.

Dana is so much taller than I am, she very kindly took her shoes off for this picture since my shoes were lost somewhere in Roxanne's house!

Dana and her family, Danny and Allison came over a bit later. Which was perfect.  I got to spend quality time with all my visitors because they came and went at different times. Lucky!

Dana and I were absolute best friends almost the entire time I lived in Atlanta.  I cannot imagine what life would have been if we had not had to have adjoining desks and learn each other's secrets through the material that separated our cubicles.  She has just flown to Italy to celebrate her 60th birthday and I will see her again next week to find out her Italian adventures!


Allison, Danny and Dana


Hold a true friend with both hands - Nigerian Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment