Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter in Burns Country

When I previewed this blog, I noticed that there are no paragraphs and I am not writing it like that. The last blog ended up all together too. Not sure what I can do to fix this and I apologize if these are hard to read. ah ha, fixed it already!

Here is a picture of purple heather in bloom on Easter Sunday. I am not used to seeing heather in bloom til later in the year.

I am still suffering from anosmia, apparently that is what the loss of smell is officially called. Very strange sensation and I also keep forgetting that I cannot smell!! It must be so ingrained as a habit, and why shouldn't it be? Such a normal movement to bring a thing to your nose and see what it smells like! I did notice it affects my cooking though, I burned a few things that I never burned before. I always thought I depended on the oven timer, but now I realize I also depend on how something smells as it is cooking. I made soup last night and this is the first thing that didn't even taste right. (apparently that is the one thing most people notice is lack of taste. this has not been the case for me until last night)

We had a lovely Easter though, regardless of my problem! Martin came up from London and most of his friends were away for a birthday celebration, so we got a massive amount of quality time with him!  With the very lucky timing of Corbyn not having nursery school on Good Friday and that he spent the night with us on Thursday, Martin had the benefit of waking up to his best fan!  I really don't know who enjoys their company the most. All I do know is once Martin was awake, they both disappeared and you could hear laughter throughout the whole house! 

White Heather



After Corbyn left for his daddy's, as he does every Friday, Alan, Martin and I went to the Chestnutshttp://www.chestnutshotel.com/restaurant.php for dinner.  This is one of our favourite restaurants, not because we have known the owners for years (Whitney and their daughter were best friends in primary school) but because it is a really nice place to go and the food is excellent!


Saturday was a typical day spent doing chores, banking, going to the post office, a bit of shopping and the guys went to see Ayr Unitedhttp://www.ayrunitedfc.co.uk/ play. 

In the evening, friends had invited us for drinks and nibbles so we had the benefit of Martin dropping us off, just like days gone by!  We had a wonderful time! 

Whitney and Corbyn arrived late morning, after he had eaten all of his chocolate eggs while his Mum was in the shower!  Everyone, except Grandma Simmons who has ruptured her ankle ligaments due to a fall, then trooped to the Robert Burns Birthplace Museumburnsmuseum for an Easter Treasure Hunt!  Up until the end, this was fantastic. Corbyn was really excited and loves maps anyway. He held onto the treasure map we were given through all the wind and walking that we did. 

(forgive me again,  I am continually learning how to do these blogs and am trying to figure out how to do the links!  that might be why there are so many this time!)

Corbyn enjoying mine and Alan's Burns portrait


So many beautiful flowers during our Treasure Hunt!

View from the Brig o Doon
(the family photo at the top of this blog was taken on the bridge)

neither one is a "wee sleekit, timorous beastie"




The little map reader, comparing his treasure map with this big official map





Yes, this was a wonderful way to spend Easter morning, but there was a valuable lesson to be learned at the end. Once we found all the clues and went back to the starting place to get Corbyn's prize, he was in tears and inconsolable.  We all assumed he was merely tired. But looking back, I think he was confused and disappointed that we never got the "treasure".  I hope we have the chance to do this next year, and believe me, there will be a treasure waiting for him then!






No comments:

Post a Comment