Thursday, March 8, 2012

Burns Beer Festival 2012


Last Friday I stumbled upon a post on Facebook stating that the bar would open in 4 hours for the Burns Beer Festival!  Considering I live in the area, I found it quite surprising that a beer festival snuck in like that!  Looking back, I thought I had taken action quickly enough, but I only contacted my husband.  And we could not go on Friday, luckily they also ran the festival on Saturday.

Having never been to a beer festival before, I was really looking forward to going to this one, especially since we could walk there. The setting was perfect, right in the grounds of Robert Burns  Cottage!  I was surprised to see so few people and then realized we were not the only ones who did not know about this local event. So Alan and I phoned our friends: not only did they not know, they also could not come.


There was a great selection of beer and ale, actually I don't know which was which and considering it was a beer festival - maybe they were all beer....?  Alan prefers lager so he got 4 different selections of the lighter beers and I like dark beer like Guinness, so I got a selection of darker beers.  We both tried to avoid the Ayr Brewing Company because we can get that locally.  We also avoided the Arran Brewery because we are planning on going to Arran soon.  It helped to have some reason not to choose some because there were so many!

I did try one of the Ayr Brewery beers though because it was specially brewed for this festival - the Peck O Maut, couldn't pass that one by!

If you look closely, you can see the design that is on the flyer.  These are half pint glasses and it will be nice if we will be able to make a collection of these in the coming years!

Alan and I had a relaxing afternoon, from about 2 - 5, we could have stayed longer, but decided just to go on home.  However, with a bit of planning and more friends, this would be a fantastic day out.  Plus there was a celidh starting at 8pm, in the same place.


me with a half pint of The Grace

 I have given feedback to the facebook group advertising this that I hope there will be one next year.  The response was they do too!  So maybe the lack of crowds this year will not cause the festival to fade away!



"There's some are fou o' love divine, There's some are fou' o' brandy."
 Robert Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment