Friday, May 18, 2012

Go!!

I have been building up to this trip since January when we first booked a trip we never went on!  So happy that I am going home and not to New England. Maybe we will get there one day, but home is where my heart is just now. 

Real life is getting a bit in the way of getting excited about leaving so soon - Wednesday was spent in meetings all day, shared almost equally between my work and Girlguiding!  As a Patient Adviser for the new Patient Advice and Support Service, there are still many details to be ironed out.  My managers and I met with others from our health board to see how to work with this new law.  I must admit I am extremely traumatized by what appears to be so many more responsibilities and obligations, while answering to double the number of national groups that I used to report to.  Not sure how one person can accomplish this, but I have decided I will do the best I can.  That is all I can do.  Not my fault that everything seems to have doubled, apart from any raise in salary and no hope of any administrative assistance.  Not even a whole lot of support from the people I work with (apart from the managers themselves, they are fantastic!)  And then, maybe, this is just teething problems and it will not be as bad as it sounds once we establish systems and see how it all fits together.  If I look back, I think it was equally upsetting in the first incarnation of this job!

After work, I met with one of my Rangers ( senior section unit) to discuss doing a residential permit!  This is a huge deal for me, since this unit is almost 6 years old and no one has gained any SS permits before.  She is lovely too and I wish she were not leaving for university after this term.  But never mind that, I am hoping this will be a great way to advertise how many things Senior Section Guides can accomplish! 

After going home and enjoying  a lovely dinner cooked by my long suffering husband, 3 Guide leaders stopped by to discuss my experiences with opening a Ranger unit. They are contemplating this for the Fall.  More power to them, it is a wonderful thing to do and ensures that those wonderful Guides that are too good to lose get the opportunity to take the next step.  They didn't leave til almost my bedtime! So it is very lucky that I have been so organized and am so near to completed packing!

Last night we took Whitney out to dinner to celebrate her 23rd birthday,which is today. But she is a much different person than I was and would prefer to spend her day with friends.  Actually I might be selling her short.  I didn't live near my Mom from the age of 16, so a birthday was a big deal. She would come to whereever I was and take me out.  If we had lived near each other like Whitney and I do, I am certain things would have been a bit different. Either way, we had a lovely evening at Frankie & Benny's. Not any of our favorite restaurants, but very child friendly and Corbyn was with us.  With any luck, Whitney and I can have "quality" another time!!!

I don't think there is much  more I can add to this blog.....I am all packed, suitcases all done, with the exception of make up, and changing my handbag.  This is not natural for me, but I am certainly enjoying the lack of pressure.  Before I get too confident though, I better wait to see what time I get to bed!

Friends and family have all been contacted and plans have been made or are at least being considered.  It is so nice that people care enough to make special efforts to see us.  Or anyone who has had to travel thousands of miles to get home.  I have had my feelings hurt in the past about people who don't seem to care enough to make a relatively short trip to see us. But after years of wondering how they can not see the difficulties encountered when we are visiting, I have come to the conclusion that these people do not travel and have no idea what it is like to come home and then have to do extra and unnecessary trips.  Oh, soapbox time and this is not good.  And not right, I am not angry or disappointed with anyone (ok that is not true but I am not getting into it here and will now change the subject!)

Weather in our part of Scotland has been predicted to be wintry for the next month.  Of course, I always brag how Ayrshire has a mini-climate and we never get it as bad as anyone else.  Well, I certainly hope that holds true for this terrible prediction for the month of June!!!

Will sign off now and do what the title of this blog says to do:   GO!!!

'Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?' 'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat. 'I don't much care where --' said Alice. 'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat. '--so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation. Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment