Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bonus Day in Atlanta!


Update

After waiting all day for our bags to be delivered, Alan phoned and they informed him it will be tomorrow. We are supposed to be in New Orleans tomorrow. And if we had known, we could have done something more fun than waiting for our bags. This is so unfair.......

We did get a bit of shopping mainly, food and supplies for when we get to the timeshare in Fort Walton Beach. One strange thing happened at Walmart though;Alan picked up a case of Budweiser. When it came to paying -Alan was asked for ID! At first, we thought this was hilarious. But she was not checking his age........once he showed her his UK drivers license, she refused to sell it to him at all.  She said all Walmarts will only sell alcohol to people with US Identification!  What?????  Luckily, I has my US passport with me. But it aaa not good enough that I had ID, I also had to physically pay for it.  I jokingly  asked if it was ok to use a credit card that I had jointly with Alan.  (she didn't laugh). Of course, now we are going yo have to test that "rule by all of my travel mates attempting to purchase alcohol at Walmart! 

I was getting more and more unhappy at our situation, I would have happily just gone on and done without my contacts, medication and battery chargers for my phone! But I was out voted.....

We did manage to salvage the day by Adarsh taking us on a magical mystery tour of downtown Atlanta, we saw the Jimmy Carter presidential library, ate dinner at The Flying Biscuit close to Little Five Points.  First restaurant that has ever heard of a cumin allergy and not looked at me strangely when I ask if it is an ingredient!  For that alone, I fell in love with the place.  The delicious biscuits, grits and other food was an added bonus!
Jim, Jennifer and Adarsh


Then, to add icing to the cake, or should I say donut? - after passing the fabulous Fox Theater, Adarsh suddenly pulled into the Krispy Kreme parking lot and the sign in the window said "Hot Donuts Now".  I was so excited !!!!  I had been hungry for them for months. And they did not disappoint.  Adarsh has turned into my local hero!  And I am very grateful for such a delicious surprise.


Three of the four bags came at about 10 pm. Although it felt like Christmas, it was still upsetting not to have all,the bags, it was Jim's that did not come.  Not sure how it happened, but it was up to Alan and me to be awake when it arrived.  We slept with Roxanne's phone next to us so as not to miss it. Woke up at 2:29, no bag.....but it did arrive at 3am and we left almost immediately. So lucky to have been "stuck" in such a wonderful place with such nice and interesting people.  

Now the adventure begins!

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao Tzu


No comments:

Post a Comment