Sunday, June 24, 2012

Florida feeling - finally!

You would be right in thinking I am obsessed with the fact I cannot smell!  But I am not happy about it!  However, there are some benefits and one of them became apparent when we returned from our trip to Geneva......

First we stopped and ate at McGuire's. This is an Irish "pub" that is massive. The way I understand it, there are only two of them, one in Pensacola and one in Destin.  McGuire's Irish Pub  Just looked it up, the one in Destin was the original.  It was fun and tacky at the same time. Looking back, eating here prevented me from eating at my favourite restaurant of all time - the Magnolia Grill.  But Jim and Alan had spotted this and had to eat here.  I got a Reuben Sandwich.  Not the best meal when in Florida with all the great restaurants around, but like I have mentioned before - I was travelling with tourists, not folks coming home!

When we got back to Steamboat Landing, there were already people in the jacuzzi and we wanted to join them!  I could tell it looked foggy, but the fog was really smoke coming from a forest fire in Hurlburt Field, just a few miles up the road.  Alan and I spent 2 hours sitting there and enjoying meeting new people.  If anyone knew me there, they would have been amazed that I sat all that time enveloped in forest fire smoke. But I couldn't smell it, so it did not bother me!  The next morning, Alan and I had to go to Santa Rosa Mall to return something and he said the inside of the mall smelled smoky, but not the outside!  This is an exerpt from the next day's news:  http://www.hurlburt.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123304258

This day was more like actually being on vacation in Florida.  Alan and I got up early and walked across Brooks' Bridge to Okaloosa Island.  It is a very pleasant walk and I am surprised we never did that before! Apart from the quick trip to the mall, we just hung out at the beach and then the pool, perfect day.

view from Brooks Bridge

Steamboat Landing from Okaloosa Island
(the two story white building)

my seafood platter at Fishermans'  Wharf, Destin

For dinner, we returned to Fisherman's Wharf because Jim and Jennifer did not order seafood the first time we went there.

Another Bull Shark, "only" 350 lbs this time

On the way home, we stopped at the opposite side of the bridge going into Destin.  Alan wanted a picture of twilight with the lights going on across the water with the HarborWalk hotel, or whatever it is called.  I don't think he got what he was looking for, but I thoroughly enjoyed the detour!  We were on the Sound side of Okaloosa Island, not the Gulf side.  A little beach that people are usually on earlier in the day, but no one was there at this time.  I got out (Jim and Jennifer stayed in the car), took my sandals off to feel the sand between my toes, and then dipped them in the water....and the water was bathtub warm!  (the only way I like it!)  The Gulf was never warm enough for me to go in, but this water just called me like a siren.  Trouble was - no swim suit.  So I rolled up my long shorts and went as deep as possible.  It took all my will power not to just jump in!  Looking back, I wish I had!!


Destin just across the (warm) water!

 I never did get to eat decent Chinese food or go to the Magnolia Grill and I will continue to be disppointed about that for a very long time.  Here is the link so you can see how special the Magnolia Grill is:  http://www.magnoliagrillfwb.com/www.magnoliagrillfwb.com/Home_Page.html

However, I can only hope that we go back soon and I can do things I missed this time around.  I know we won't go so long between visits home too.  Alan seemed to enjoy the whole feeling of being there almost as much as I did and we are really trying to find ways to go more often!

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned."  Maya Angelou, American poet

No comments:

Post a Comment