Saturday, June 23, 2012

Nostalgia Tour



Although I am now home, I am still catching up with this blog.  Not only did I struggle with doing it on my Ipad, I also did not have the time I usually have when travelling.  Going home is much more frenzied than going on vacation.  I had more or less forgotten that!

And what we did on Tuesday, May 29, was go home!  Or what used to be my Mom's home and my US permanent address when I moved over to Scotland. 


I had developed a real dislike of the satnav though.  Alan and Jim had to have it on constantly and I just wanted to go home the way I always did, without being told the way.  I do understand they like to watch the little map, but why can't they just watch the scenery?  As the week went on, I disliked the satnav even more.  In fact, on the last day when we were heading up to Atlanta, I refused to have it on, we also did not have a map and I had no idea how to get to Dothan from where we were in Florida, so we must have lost about 1 - 2 hours travel time!  We eventually bought a map when we got to Atlanta. Moral of this story, satnavs have their place, but so do maps!

Geneva is a cute little southern Alabama town with lots of old charm remaining.  It still has a downtown area and a nice small town feel.  I wonder if the residents look at it this way?  I love going back and feeling as if nothing ever changes! 


This tree is at the junction and a symbol of Geneva

One of our first stops was at the junction.  This is where the Pea River and the Choctawhatchee river converge and the original location of Geneva.  They built an overlook on a swamp and it was really interesting to have such a close look at this.



I thought it was a fantastic way to get a close look at such a unique place.  (Jim and Jennifer stayed in the car, not sure if it was the bugs or the heat, but they sure missed a cool experience!)  Gilstrap's Drug Store was our next stop - for a milkshake at the soda fountain!  Jim and Jennifer had never done this and I was so thrilled that the fountain is in such good shape. One time I brought the kids when they were very small and it looked like the fountain was just about to be closed.  I think they must have realized it is too special to shut down.



We also met with two of Mom's friends, Lou and Cornelia.  They are the real deal when it comes to Southern Ladies and we had a wonderful visit, at McDonalds of all places! 

Lou and Cornelia


We drove around and looked at all the old places we love, including Mom's old house. The new owners have made so many changes outside and I have heard they have made loads of changes inside too.  The house looks amazing, but it did feel odd not to be able to just walk in!



Another really fun stop was to the Hole in the Wall Coffee shop.  It is run by a family member and she is actually converting it away from coffee, so we were very lucky to get there when we did!  In a very strange coincidence, she also took us to Mr LaMarra, who is now 80 years old.  He was our wedding photographer!  It was so much fun to see him again.  We had fun talking about our wedding and his memories of it. Especially since it was the only wedding he did with the men wearing kilts!



Janna, Pat and Mr LaMarra

It was a very special day and I am so glad we had the chance to visit Geneva!  I hope anytime we go to the timeshare we have the chance to go to Geneva for a day!


Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration.
Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment